The City lies over 3.9 square kilometres on the western slopes of Mount Royal. It encompasses an urban forest, numerous parks and playgrounds, as well as cultural, religious and educational institutions. Its green is not restricted to public green spaces; with 11,000 City trees plus a myriad of carefully tended private lawns and gardens, Westmount is a gem in the greater metropolitan setting.
As of December 2016, according to the ministère des Affaires municipales et de l’Occupation du territoire of Quebec, the population of the City of Westmount was 20,648 residents.
The City of Westmount is proud to be a vibrant, independent, primarily residential community that, since its founding in 1874, continues to offer a quality of life which reflects the values, hopes and aspirations of its residents and takes into account their varying means and resources.
To this end, the City Council shall
- foster open and ongoing communications with all sectors of the community;
- respond to the needs and desires of its residents while respecting its responsibility to contribute to the success of the larger metropolitan community as well;
- develop imaginative and coherent policies in securing the efficient and cost-effective delivery of municipal services;
- promote both a sense of community and volunteer involvement;
- preserve the built form, existing density and the heritage that is Westmount and enhance its unique physical, natural and architectural environment;
- promote initiatives that protect the health and safety of the community;
- continue its leadership role in implementing initiatives to protect the environment;
- foster opportunities to encourage young families to establish themselves in the community;
- implement its decisions through an honest, competent and dedicated civic administration.