Tenants’ Resource Guide

Do you know where to get help?

When problems arise, it’s important to know how to deal with them and who to call when you need help. Depending on the severity of the problem, more than one authority may be involved. Westmount inspectors can intervene only when municipal by-laws are violated, generally in matters of sanitation, safety, and other issues related to the Building Code. Situations that concern lease conditions or provincial law, such as the regulation of heat and other comforts, should be addressed to the Tribunal administratif du logement (TAL).

Be prepared before situations happen

  • Keep records of your household inventory, your insurance policy, insurance agent, and other important contact information in a safe and accessible place. You may need them in the event of an evacuation.
  • Be informed of your rights and responsibilities. A rental agreement is a legal document that establishes landlord and tenant responsibilities.
  • Become familiar with your building, its fire exits and safety features; know what to do in the event of a fire or other emergency.


Never try to fight fires by yourself.

Follow these general guidelines

  • For non-urgent problems, start by informing the building manager, landlord or superintendent (in writing if necessary). Don’t assume they already know the problem exists.
  • Check your lease. If a problem under the landlord’s responsibility persists beyond a reasonable period of time, contact the TAL, the City of Westmount or other appropriate authorities, depending on the problem (see the list below).
  • Document all dates and times of the problems and the names of people contacted, and the dates you contacted them. Send e-mails but remember that there is no proof that an e-mail has been sent unless you receive an acknowledgement or other reply to it. Take photos, and record the date they were taken. Send all important requests and notices in writing, and use registered mail as proof that it was received.

The TAL will ask you for written or photographic evidence documenting the issues, as well as any actions taken by the tenant and the landlord, and any interventions made by other individuals, City departments or organizations.

Solving problems: what to do, who to call

The following table can help direct you to the appropriate authority for enforcing regulations. Depending upon the nature and severity of the problem, more than one authority might be involved. Begin with the following list before moving on to the next step, and seek legal advice before taking action. This could be from your own lawyer, a legal clinic or the Rental Board.

Other resources

Please note that the City of Westmount provides this information as a public service, does not endorse any external website and cannot be responsible for the accuracy of the information nor the quality of the services offered.

Public Agencies

Tribunal administratif du logement (formerly the Régie du logement du Québec)
1425 René-Lévesque Boulevard West, Suite 600
Montréal, H3G 1T7
514 873-2245

The Tribunal administratif du logement is a public organization and tribunal that has jurisdiction in matters of residential leases. It provides the public with adequate information and effective recourse when a party fails to meet its obligations. The TAL offers many online resources, including answers to frequently asked questions and information about rental adjustments. You may contact the TAL by phone, in person and by email through its website.

Régie du bâtiment du Québec
545, boul. Crémazie Est, 4e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2M 2V2
514 873-0976

The Régie du bâtiment du Québec oversees the safety of buildings, installations and facilities, enforces Construction, Building, and Safety codes and has jurisdiction in issues related to electricity, plumbing, gas, elevators and other equipment. Its website features information, publications and forms for filing reports and complaints. You can contact the RBQ by phone, in person and via the website.

Organizations in the community

Arnold Bennett Housing Hotline
514-488-0412 or 514 990-0190

Project Genesis
4735 Cote-Ste-Catherine Rd. (Metro Cote-Ste-Catherine)
Montreal, H3W 1M1

Project Genesis is a drop-in centre that offers free help to tenants as well as other services. It serves residents in the Côtes des Neiges/Snowdon district, but is anyone may use its services.

Centre de justice de proximité du Grand Montréal
407 Boulevard Saint-Laurent, bureau 410
Montréal, QC, H2Y 2Y5
514 227-3782

The CJPGM is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote access to justice by fostering the participation of citizens through legal information, support and referral services provided in addition to existing resources. It offers a free legal clinic with or without appointment.


Éducaloi is a neutral and independent organization with a recognized expertise in legal education and clear legal communication. Its mission is to explain the law to Quebecers in everyday language and enhance their legal competencies.

This information was researched and prepared by the City of Westmount and by members of the Westmount Municipal Association, an independent, non-partisan volunteer organization devoted to promoting good, responsive local government.