Snow removal operations, such as plowing and salting are carried out around the clock. Loading operations normally require a minimum of 4-8 days depending on the snowfall, and are carried out according to a pre-determined schedule. The priorities for cleaning are commercial streets, fire routes, major arteries, school zones and streets on slopes.
UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15, 2020
Snow removal operations started at 3 a.m. on Tuesday, January 14 and was completed on Wednesday, January 15th.
REMINDER: To both homeowners and contractors, please do not push snow on the sidewalks or streets. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these operations.
The snow loading steps:
The approximate time of the snowblower’s passage after the snow plow:
|Snow removal: weekdays||50 min. to 1 hour|
|Snow removal: weekends||30 min. to 45 min.|
Please note that snow loading trucks must unload the snow at a spill site located outside the City of Westmount that causes delays due to traffic to and from the site.
- Travel time between the City of Westmount and Butler Dump site
Approximately 15 min. to go + (10 min. of unloading) + 15 min. to return =Approximately 40 min.
- Travel time between the City of Westmount and Newman Dump site
Approximately 25 min. to go + (10 min. of unloading) + 35 min. to return =Approximately 70 min.
Advance warning of snow removal and the times at which it will be taking place are indicated by flashing or fixed orange lights on major throughfares, and by special signs placed on side streets.
The plastic signs replace orange sandwich boards in most areas of the Westmount, which were typically placed on snowbanks when snow removal was to take place.
Each winter, the City of Westmount encounters a number of problems with the practice employed by private contractors as they remove snow from private driveways, paths, etc., and place it onto public streets and sidewalks. In our desire to collaborate with the private contractors who are licensed to carry out this type of work, the City would like to remind all contractors of the rules that are in force:
- all snow removed from private property must be deposited on the existing snow banks created by city ploughs. Snow pushed out from private property should be spread out along the snow banks to prevent creating a large mass of snow opposite the driveway from which the snow was removed;
- under no circumstances should the snow removed from one driveway be placed on the street in front of any neighbouring driveways;
- the blockage of any street, sidewalk or lane by snow removed from private property will not be tolerated.
The snow plowing operation entails displacing the snow from the street towards the sidewalks or curbs in order to allow traffic to flow safely. This operation causes snow to accumulate in front of every driveway. Each resident is responsible to remove this snow should they need access.