Permits, Licences & Forms

Here is the list of permits, licences and forms issued by the City, as required by the law. Click on the title of the permit to view the information.

If you wish to obtain a copy of a document held by the City of Westmount, we ask that you fill in our online form below. As a public body, the City is subject to An Act respecting Access to Documents held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information (chapter A-2.1). It has twenty (20) days to answer your request. However, in some cases, this delay may be extended up to 30 days.

For more information, please consult the website of the Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec.

Legal Services and City Clerk | 4333, Sherbrooke Street West | 514 989-5367

If you wish to organize a block party either on private or public property, you must have an authorization from the City. Please complete the form below; you will be contacted shortly.

Public Safety Department | 21, Stanton Street | 514 989-5222

A free permit issued by the Engineering Department is required to occupy a city street or any other municipal property for moving. The request must be sent by email to and at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the moving date.

Engineering Department | 1 Béthune Street | 514 989-5310

A permit issued by the Engineering Department is required to occupy a city street or any other municipal property with construction equipment. This restriction includes, but is not limited to, debris containers, cranes and any similar type of equipment. The request must be sent by email to and at least 72 hours (3 days) prior to the installation of the equipment. Guidelines vary from street to street and from season to season.

As a densely built and primarily residential community, Westmount recognizes the importance of maintaining its green spaces open and accessible to the public at all times.

Projects and private construction activities that require the temporary occupation of any part of a park or green space, or the delineation of an exclusive area within a park or green space are not permitted.

Eligibility Upon approval by the Public Works Department and payment of fees
Fees $0.13/square foot/day plus taxes

$0.33/square foot/day plus taxes (residential parking space and Pay-by-Plate space)


Public Works Department | 1 Béthune Street | 514 989-5310

No circular may be distributed to any private residence or apartment building without a permit. The distributor must act in accordance with the By-law concerning circulars and must pay the permit fees:

Urban Planning Department | 4333, Sherbrooke Street West | 514 989-5219

Claims against the City of Westmount

  • Under section 585 of the City and Towns Act (CQLR chapter C-19), if any person claim or pretend to have suffered bodily injury by any accident, for which he intends to claim damages from the municipality, he shall, within 15 days from the date of such accident, give or cause to be given notice in writing to the clerk of the municipality of such intention, containing the particulars of his claim, and stating the place of his residence.
  • Also, in case of any claim for damages to property, moveable or immoveable, a similar notice shall also be given to the clerk of the municipality, within 15 days.
  • You may file your notice of claim in person, by mail or by fax in the form of a letter or on the claims form available below. First and last name and address of claimant must be mentioned on the notice, along with the cause of damage, date and location of incident:

Form for claims

Legal Services and City Clerk | 4333, Sherbrooke Street West | 514 989-5318

A building permit is a document that grants legal permission to start construction of a building project. It is required for all new buildings as well as for all alterations, repairs and extensions to existing buildings.

Consult the construction and renovation page

Urban Planning Department | 4333, Sherbrooke Street West |  514 989-5219

Westmount is primarily a residential community. To minimize inconvenience to residents, the City adopted a policy in 2004 concerning the issuance of permits for filming and the conditions that must be respected by applicants during filming. Once a project has been approved and a permit issued, it is subject to the conditions outlined in “By-Law 1313 Concerning Filming Permits.”

Urban Planning Department | 4333, Sherbrooke Street West |  514 989-5219

The City offers a free year-round graffiti removal service.

  • If your property has been tagged with graffiti, rapid removal, notably within 24 to 48 hours, will reduce the chance of being “tagged” again.
  • If you opt to avail yourself of the City’s free year-round graffiti removal service or if you want to report a graffiti in the City of Westmount, you should fill out the Graffiti Removal Online Form, as soon as possible.
  • Alternatively, you may choose to remove the graffiti on your own, in which case you will first have to determine the porosity of the surface in your selection of cleaning agents.

Public Safety Department | 21, Stanton Street | 514 989-5222

The security registry allows the city of Westmount to get in touch with companies and individuals in case of emergency. The Public Security Department invites you to provide certain information by filling out the form below.

Public Safety Department | 21, Stanton Street | 514 989-5222

To open, close or modify a Hydro Westmount account, to receive invoices by email or for any other request about Hydro Westmount,  visit Hydro Westmount page.

Hydro Westmount | 995, Glen Street | 514 925-1414

Use one of the following forms to submit your application for employment and complete one form per job offer. You must have the required skills and join the documents evidencing that the eligibility conditions are met (diplomas, certificates, etc.). The City can reject any incomplete job application or submitted after the deadline.

Human Resources Department | 4333 Sherbrooke Street West | 514 989-5217

Westmount residents, who do not have sufficient parking space on their property, including anyone living in an apartment, condo or similar dwelling, may apply for permission to park on the street. If you have available parking spaces on your property or rental location, you will only be eligible to obtain one green “W” permit.

When obtaining your parking permit, you must provide the following information to the Parking Permits Office:

  • Driver’s license (with Westmount address)
  • Vehicle registration
  • 2 recent Westmount bills within the last 3 months (ie- Bell, Hydro Westmount…etc)

Tenants renting apartments or houses or condo owners have to provide the following additional information:

  • ALL tenants must also bring a copy of their lease agreement
  • A letter from the property owner/landlord, confirming that there are no available parking spaces on their property
  • For more information

Parking Permits Office | 21, Stanton Street | 514 989-5225

Anyone wishing to use pesticides to control an infestation, vermin, spiders or ants must first obtain a permit from the Public Works Department. The emission of a permit is always preceded by a visit from a Westmount inspector.

Pesticide treatments are prohibited outside buildings, unless the products used are bio-pesticides as defined by the Agence de réglemention de la lutte antiparasitaire, or active ingredients authorized in the Code de gestion des pesticides du Québec. Treatment must be carried out under specific controls, including notification of neighbors, site preparation, favorable weather conditions and signage.


The application of pesticides is prohibited:

  • in zones defined as being sensitive and within a radius of 5 meters of such areas. They include the following: daycare centers and schools, health and social services establishments, senior’s residences, places of worship, all municipal parks and green spaces;
  • between June 15 and September 1 of each year, except in cases of infestation* that is a threat to public health;
  • on trees during their blooming period;
  • when it has not rained for seven consecutive days.

A pesticide permit shall only be valid for three working days from its date of issue. When a repeat treatment is required, a new permit must be obtained and at least 21 days must pass between applications. The following fees apply:

  • $10 for an individual permit
  • $25 for a corporation permit

Public Works Department | 1, Béthune Street | 514 989-5268.

Residents who wish to perform plumbing work must deal with a plumbing contractor. The contractor must contact our Plumbing Inspector to obtain a permit.

Tom Souleles, Plumbing Inspector | 514 989-5348 |

The Public Works Department intervenes only on public trees. Please indicate the public tree for which a problem was observed. If you can not find the tree on the map, please include your address in the message field. PLEASE NOTE: If you request an evaluation for work on trees near power lines, please contact Hydro Westmount Customer Service at 514 925-1414.

Public Works Department | 1 Béthune Street | 514 989-5268

If you are aware of a pothole on any road in Westmount, notify the City so it can be repaired.

Public Works Department | 1, Béthune Street | 514-989-5311

There are signs indicating no one is home at private residences which is an open invitation to burglary. The Public Security Department conducts periodic residential patrols 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Complete the online form and an officer will check your property during your absence.

Request for Special Surveillance

Public Security Department | 21, Stanton Street | 514 989-5222

If you have any questions, comments or requests regarding the collection services, please fill out the online form below. A member of the waste management team will contact you as soon as possible.

Public Works | 1, Béthune Street | 514-989-5311

  • Complete the form
  • Attach a copy of one of the following documents to the application:
    – Health insurance card issued by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec
    – Driver’s license issued by the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec
    – Canadian passport
    – Certificate of Indian Status
    – Canadian Forces identification card
  • Send the application either by mail
    Attention: City Clerk
    City Hall,
    4333 Sherbrooke Street West
    Westmount, Quebec
    H3Z 1E2
  • Or by email to