The Prince Albert Park accessible playground was opened to the public on June 4th. This inclusive installation is designed to accommodate up to 73 children aged 2 to 10. It includes about 20 features to encourage individual and group play, including:
- wheelchair-accessible ramp and platforms;
- two slides;
- a sensory tunnel;
- two climbing walls;
- a cocoon for quiet time;
- interactive play panels;
- an Aero glider rocking car;
- an arm cycler;
- monkey bars.
Accessible swings previously installed on the site are part of this play area as well.
The area around the play installation features a special surface that surpasses national safety norms for playgrounds; in addition:
- the surface is composed of non-toxic and recycled materials;
- the shock-absorbing surface reduces injuries caused by falls;
- the play structure is entirely accessible to children in wheelchairs, or with mobility issues;
- the play surface is permeable, allowing water percolation.
Five new trees, 10 shrubs and 59 perennial flowers were also planted as part of the play area reconstruction.