The Westmount Public Safety Department would like to advise you to be vigilant during the holiday season! Your safety at home is important.
Please note the following home safety tips:
- Install a home security system and ensure that it is activated while you are out of the house.
- Make sure locks are in place and are functioning correctly.
- Always check through a peephole or window before opening the door when somebody knocks.
- Keep your doors closed even when you’re home, including the garage doors.
- Keep all windows locked, even on the second floor.
- Keep blinds or curtains closed so you don’t advertise what’s inside your home.
- Store your valuables in a safe or a very clever hiding spot.
- Protect sliding doors from intrusion by inserting a metal bar or pipe on the bottom track.
- Request identification if a stranger claims to be a police officer or other government official.
- Register yourself for a special passing attention with Public Security when leaving on vacation.
- Cancel your mail delivery while away.
- Have a neighbour or contractor clean you driveway of snow while you are away.
- Report any suspicious activity around your house or in the neighbourhood to the local authorities immediately.
Should you observe any suspicious activity in your area, please contact 911. The information you provide could assist in the ongoing investigation.