Parks and green spaces

Westmount’s network of parks and green spaces represents a true wealth of natural heritage, with 12 parks, 22 green spaces and one wooded nature reserve, the majority of which were established before 1940.

Despite its urban density, Westmount’s overall landscape and greenery owes much to its location on the western slope of Mount Royal and also to the presence – within its boundaries – of one of the three peaks of the Mount-Royal heritage site. In addition, the character of many of Westmount’s parks still reflects the city’s rich horticultural and sports traditions through its history.

Westmount also has a unique network of public staircases, which provide a passageway between certain streets and access to exceptional views.

The City of Westmount promotes a healthy lifestyle by encouraging its citizens to use their green spaces and public staircases as part of a health circuit and for other sports and leisure activities. We invite you to take the time to discover Westmount’s exceptional parks and unique green spaces.

Westmount’s parks are designed to provide access to persons with reduced mobility through wide paved pathways, accessible washrooms, a sufficient number of benches and adequate lighting.

The City has installed ADA-standard adapted swings in most playgrounds.

The use of BBQs is prohibited in Westmount’s public parks and green spaces.

All parks in Westmount are closed to the public nightly between midnight and 5 a.m. (By-law 69).

Dogs must be leashed at all times, except in designated dog parks. Use the button below to find out about Westmount’s dog parks, dog regulations and how to obtain a dog permit.

As a densly-built and primarily residential community, Westmount recognizes the importance of maintaining its green spaces open and accessible to the public at all times.

Private events that require the reservation of any parts of a park or the delineation of an exclusive area within a park are not permitted. Westmount residents and community groups may request the use of a green space for certain events, however. Use the button below to consult the City’s policy and the guidelines for using a park for an event.

All smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes, is prohibited in Westmount’s parks and green spaces. New restrictions came into force on September 8, 2018.

It is forbidden to feed animals on public property in Westmount.

Hover the cursor over the green spaces and click for more details.

This natural urban forest and bird sanctuary occupies the western peak of Mount Royal and part of the protected area designated as the Mount Royal heritage site. The wooded lots, purchased by Sir William Macdonald in 1895, were donated to McGill University in the 1920s and bought by Westmount in 1940 under the site be preserved as a nature reserve in perpetuity.

At almost 2.5 million square feet or slightly more than 57 acres, this is Westmount’s largest green space. In this carefully preserved urban woodland, with pathways meandering throughout, wild birds and animals make this their haven, finding natural habitats in this tiny corner of the big city. Many wild plant and flower species also thrive in Summit Woods, and the City relies on you to help preserve this fragile area by refraining from picking or walking on the vegetation.

The north portion of Summit Circle between Summit Road and Oakland Ave. was closed to vehicles and the pavement removed. It was replaced with a pedestrian and cycling path, inaugurated in 2017.

 

Summit Woods remains a unique ecosystem and a peaceful place for walkers in the midst of a densely-built city.

Still called familiarly and affectionately by locals by its earlier name of Murray Park after William Murray, who sold a piece of his farmland to the City in the 1920s, King George Park was given its new moniker to mark the British Royal’s visit to Canada with his wife, Queen Elizabeth, in 1939.

At the northern limit of the park’s fourteen acre expanse is an immense playing field where lacrosse, Canada’s national sport, is played, along with rugby and soccer. In winter, the park is home to an outdoor rink for skating enthusiasts.

In the park’s central area are located a dog run, a tennis court area, a wading pool, a basketball net, as well as the comfort station, designed by internationally-celebrated Westmount architect, Robert Findlay. Findlay and his son Frank were commissioned by the City to design the pavilion in 1936, possibly as a make-work project during the Great Depression. The stone structure is classical in style, and houses changing rooms and washrooms. Mid-slope, a playground and a small pond area can be found on the east side.

At the recommendation of a citizens’ committee in 1890, the City acquired the grounds in 1898 to create Westmount Park. The Westmount Public Library and the Victoria Hall community centre were both inaugurated in its northwest corner the following year.

In 1912, M.J. Howard Manning undertook the landscaping for the City, laying out the park in the spirit of Frederick Law Olmsted – landscape architect for Mont Royal Park and New York’s Central Park – following the natural streams, ravines and wooded areas on the site.

Today, its 26 acres contain a wading pool, an extensive playground, beautiful floral plantings, playing fields and tennis courts. In the southwest corner of the park, a state-of-the-art sports complex, which includes two underground ice rinks and an outdoor pool, is partially concealed under a green roof.

A park known as Westview occupied a portion of Devon Park as early as 1902 and the current layout was in place by 1949. Its rustic appearance, slopes and mature trees are in keeping with its location near the summit.

Acquired by the City in 1898, the construction and landscaping of the lookout, stairs and park were carried out in the 1930s. Summit Lookout offers striking views of Westmount, Montreal’s downtown area and the St-Lawrence River. At the foot of the Lookout, the stand of trees in Sunnyside Park could be said to be an extension of Summit Woods.

Argyle Park offers an oasis of greenery at the busy intersection of Westmount Avenue and The Boulevard. A result of the division of the Notman property, this tiny park first appeard in City records in 1898 and creates a harmonious urban ensemble with dwellings facing it.

This park, equipped with a playground, was built in 1927 and expanded in 1938. The comfort station was constructed in 1940. Its rectangular shape echoes the street pattern of the sector. An outdoor skating rink is maintained during the winter, and an accessible splash pad in the summer.

This island of green, named Garden Point, first appeared on maps in 1902, the same year as the construction of the Lawn Bowling Club and greens. The City Hall building, by renowned architect Robert Findlay, was added in 1922, along with the nearby Cenotaph, designed by George Hill – a tribute to the sacrifice of Westmount citizens who died in battle during the First World War.

Created on the former grounds of the Sulpicians, the harmonious composition of this green space  – a veritable little oasis in a densely-built area – includes a playground and winter skating rink.

Created by the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (MAAA) in 1887, this space is Westmount’s oldest park. Purchased by the City in 1936, it featured a covered bleacher and many sporting grounds at that time. While its primary sports vocation has not changed, the WAG now includes a playground, tennis courts, community gardens and a dog park.

The east side of this park, built in 1924, was originally named Clandeboye prior to the addition in 1936 of the western portion. Today, Stayner Park includes a playground, a basketball court, a water play area, summer tennis courts and a winter ice rink.

This small alcove park was created in 1937 and was refurbished in 2001. It offers a shaded playground for the neighbourhood children.

This tiny pocket park was constructed in 1939 and re-landscaped in 1994 and also in 2001. Here, one can find a shaded playground area for the neighbourhood children.

This green space was rented from Monk Estate in 1901 to establish a space for lawn bowling and the Westmount Lawn Bowling Club formally inaugurated the following year. The land was purchased by the City in 1920 and leased to the Club. The original pavilion was demolished in 1996 and replaced with an enlarged replica. Located on the north side of Sherbrooke St. at Kensington Ave., the bowling lawns provide a visually tranquil place next to a major traffic artery.

These tiny vegetated spaces, located around the City, reflect the horticultural traditions of Westmount, as well as the 20th-century ‘garden suburb’ movement. These pockets of greenery harmonize with the hilly landscape and with the residential character of Westmount’s neighbourhoods. They include:

  • Surrey Gardens (boulevard islands)
  • Clarke Island (at the north end of Clarke Ave.)
  • NDG-Claremont Island
  • Forden Islands (2) between Montrose and Westmount Aves.
  • Dorchester and Clarke Islands (east and west of the intersection)
  • Weredale Island
  • Prospect St. green space
  • Lansdowne-Ste-Catherine green space (n-e of the intersection)
  • Glen-Ste-Catherine green space (s-w of the intersection)
  • York-Ste-Catherine green space

Given its sloping landscape, Westmount has a number of green corridors and public staircases, which provide shortcuts to some streets, as well as access to impressive views of the City and the St. Lawrence River. Many of these tiny green spaces date back to the early 20th century. They include:

  • Sunnyside steps (at Summit Lookout)
  • Roslyn Stairs (north of The Boulevard)
  • The Boulevard-ch. Edgehill-rue Summit Circle Stairs (north of Renfrew Ave.)
  • Bellevue-Sunnyside Stairs (from the north end of Aberdeen Ave.)
  • Mount Pleasant Slope (between Holton and St-Sulpice)
  • Thornhill Stairs (from the north end of Stanton St.)
  • Belmont Crescent (near Côte-St-Antoine and Lansdowne)