Fence and hedge

Gather all mandatory documents marked by an asterisk (*) in steps 2 and 3 below, prior to applying for a permit at the Urban Planning counter; otherwise the file opening will be denied.

Required documents for review:

  • *A letter describing the scope of the proposed works;
  • *A letter from the building owner authorizing the permit application, if the request is made by a third party;
  • *A letter from the association of co-owners authorizing the proposed modification;
  • *A copy of a recent certificate of location, showing the current conditions of the property;
  • *Clear and colour photographs of the existing fence(s) or hedge(s) or other existing conditions;
  • *A site plan, scaled and dimensioned, indicating the property lines and the relative location of the fence(s) and/or hedge(s);
  • *Detailed elevation of the fence showing dimensions, materials and opacity ratio;
  • *Clear and colour photograhs or specifications of plants and exterior materials;
  • A site plan and section may be required illustrating terrain levels;
  • An official cost estimate, excluding taxes, provided by a general contractor.

This list is a summary. Please note that additional documents or information may be required in order to provide a better understanding of the project and contribute to the request process. (By-Law #1300, article 65, point 14o)

Once you have gathered all the information you can open your file at the Urban Planning Counter in City Hall or open an online application.

  • *The fee for the document analysis is 55$; the cost of the permit is separate.
  • The cost of the permit is calculated from the cost of work.
  • All files must be analyzed by the Urban Planning Department before they are referred to the Planning Advisory Committee and City Council.
  • The applicant will receive a follow-up via email.
  • Your permit will be issued at City hall or sent by email.

Information you need to bring:

  • A detailed construction cost, excluding taxes as provided by the general contractor or a project manager (tariffs By-law).
  • All other documentation requested that needs to be deposited prior to the issuance of a permit (ex. RBQ form, a site management document, asbestos report, sidewalk deposit, …).

Applies to all exterior changes to a building or property.

Need help with applying for a permit online? Here is a step-by-step guide