Westmount is committed to reducing the amount of material it sends to landfill. Garden waste disposal is an important component of waste diversion. Some garden waste can be mulched to be used as a rich organic fertilizer. Grass clippings and leaves can be left on your lawn and mowed over to return vital nutrients and water to your grass, which promotes a lusher, greener lawn.
If neither mulching nor composting is a viable option for your household, you can dispose of garden waste through the Garden Waste collection.
From April to September all garden waste will be collected on Wednesdays by City crews. Make sure it is placed curbside by 7 a.m. If the route is not completed on the Wednesday, collection will continue on the following day. (No collection on weekends).
Garden waste includes:
- Residue from the spring garden clean-up and other landscaping activity
- Residue from de-thatching your lawn
- Residue from your vegetable garden or fruit trees
- Small branches up to 2.5 cm diameter, not exceeding 1 meter in length; ensure they are bundled and tied with natural twine ( no plastic cords)
- Weeds and grass trimmings
Please follow the guidelines below for the collection:
All garden waste must be placed in paper yard waste bags. Garden waste can also be placed loose in an open rigid plastic or metal container. Leave the top off the containers so that collection crews can see the contents. Containers must not exceed 20 kg in weight.
Autumn Leaf Collection
Starting the beginning of October, Public Works crews will collect leaves and other garden waste that are bagged in paper yard waste bags for the curbside collection. All leaves and garden waste are sent to a compost facility; therefore it is vital that only leaves and garden waste be included in your bags.
Use ONLY PAPER YARD WASTE BAGS to dispose of garden waste. (These bags are available at local hardware, grocery or similar stores.) Waste in any other type of bag WILL NOT BE collected for composting.
Acceptable garden waste
all garden debris, grass clippings, leaves, twigs (up to 1 inch in diameter) and all other compostable garden waste.
Westmounters can take advantage of TWO ways to make sure their autumn leaves get composted:
Garden Waste Bag Collection
- Curbside pick-up of bagged garden waste will take place from Monday to Friday throughout October and November.
- Place your bags behind the sidewalk before 7 a.m. for collection by City crews.
- Bags left with the garbage will NOT be picked up for collection.
If your bags are properly prepared, but are not picked up within three business days, please contact us at 514-989-5311.
Container at Public Works Yard
- Dispose of your leaves at any time in the large container set up at the Public Works Yard at 1 Bethune Street.
- Residents and professional gardeners may bring bags of leaves or garden waste and empty them into the container.
These regulations apply both to residents who maintain their own lawns and gardens and to private contractors (landscapers, etc.).
Disposal of all cut branches resulting from tree trimming work executed by private contractors are the responsibility of the contractor.
Fallen or broken branches from City trees along road ways or in public areas should be reported to Public Works at 514-989-5311.