Household waste includes household hazardous waste, appliances with halocarbons, construction debris, obsolete furniture and appliances, and many other types of waste. They must not be put in the garbage in order to be recycled, recovered or properly disposed of.
HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) are household, automotive and outdoor maintenance products that present real safety, health and environmental hazards. Products marked as corrosive, explosive, flammable or toxic should never be disposed of in the garbage or down the drain. They are recognizable by the presence of one or more hazardous product pictograms on their container.
The Montréal agglomeration conducts itinerant household hazardous waste (HHW) collections on a seasonal basis everywhere on the island of Montreal. These collections take place twice a year at the City of Westmount.
The collections are only for HHW from domestic activities. Businesses, industries and institutions cannot benefit from these collections.
Collections occur in the parking lot of the Westmount Public Library (4574 Sherbrooke Street West)
COLLECTIONS AT WESTMOUNT IN 2021 ARE :
- Saturday, April 24th, 2021 between 9 A.M. and 5 P.M.
- Saturday, October 2nd, 2021 between 9 A.M. and 5 P.M.
- Adhesives, tar, epoxy, paint remover
- Car batteries, motor oil, antifreeze and filters
- Propane and aerosol tanks
- Paint, dye, primer, varnish, sealer, oil and solvents
- Pesticides and fertilizers
- Dry-cell batteries
- Swimming pool chemicals
- Maintenance or cleaning products, drain cleaners, degreasers
- Fluorescent Tubes and Compact Fluorescent light
- Varsol, petrol, fuel, alcohol thinner, shellac
- Display devices (televisions, computer monitors, etc.)
- Conventional telephones, answering machines, cell phones and pagers
- Desktops and laptops, notebooks and tablets
- Computer and game console peripherals (mouse, keyboard, router/modem, external hard drive, cable, connector, remote control, memory card, USB stick)
- Printers, scanners, fax machines, photocopiers and multifunction devices
- Portable and non-portable audio and video systems (DVD and CD players, VCRs, etc.)
- Home theater set
- Audio, video and location systems for vehicles
- Digital and non-digital cameras and digital projectors
- Ink cartridges and printer toner
- Non functionnal appliances (all sizes)
- Firearms and ammunition
- Bottles of compressed gas other than propane (insulating foam, welding gas, helium, oxygen, etc.)
- Products containing PCBs or explosives
- Biomedical waste
- Radioactive waste
- Fireworks and flares
- Unknown products
FOLLOW THE SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
For your safety and that of the employees in charge of the collection, please ensure that the products are:
- identified, ideally with their original label
- neither mixed nor decanted
- in their original tightly sealed containers
- in containers of less than 20 liters (5 gallons)
The Bethune Street Public Works yard depots have been closed since March 2019.
There are several locations in or near the City that accept household waste.
The Montreal agglomeration provides its residents with a network of 7 ecocentres throughout its territory. The ecocentres are drop-off sites for a variety of residual materials that can be recycled, reused or safely disposed .
Access to the ecocentres is free of charge and offered to all residents and property owners of the Montreal agglomeration. Proof of residency and piece of identity are required to access the sites.
The 2 ecocentres closest to Westmount are :
- Côte-des-Neiges Ecocentre
6925 Côte-des-Neiges road, Montreal
- LaSalle Ecocentre
7272 St. Patrick Street, LaSalle
- Refrigerating appliances
- Household appliances
- Electronic products
- Articles for re-use
- Upholstered furniture
- Recyclable materials
- Bicycle tyres, inner tubes and car tyres (max 84 cm)
- Construction, renovation and demolition residues (CRD)
- Household hazardous waste (HHW)
- Green residues
EVERYTHING AT ITS PLACE!
|Compact fluorescent light and fluorescent tube||
|Obsolete bulky household appliances
|Dry cell batteries||
|Car battery and motor oil||
|Paint and dyeing products||Some hardware stores
|Electronic products||Small electronics :
Electronics of all sizes :
|Clothing, bedding and fabrics||