Green Waste

The City of Westmount is committed to reducing the amount of material sent to the landfill. The proper treatment of green waste is an important component for a better waste management.


Garden residues are organic residues that come from garden clean-up and landscaping activities. They include leaves, plants and small branches.

  • Residue from the spring garden clean-up and other landscaping activity.
  • Residue from de-thatching your lawn.
  • Residue from your vegetable garden or fruit trees.
  • Small branches up to 2.5 cm diameter, not exceeding 1 metre in length; ensure they are bundled and tied with natural twine ( no plastic cords).
  • Weeds and grass trimmings.
  • branches larger than 2.5 cm diameter and longer than 1 meter
  • branches tied with plastic rope
  • residues in plastic bags
  • paper bags or containers heavier than 20 kilograms (50 pounds)
  • rocks and pebbles

Westmount residents have two options for disposing of their yard waste: the weekly collection by City crews or the Belvedere Road depot. Ecocentres also accept green waste.

From April to November, the City’s teams are actively collecting green waste. Simply place your garden waste curbside and it will be collected by the City.

In order for your waste to be collected, please ensure that:

  • The garden waste is disposed in yard waste paper bags only (available at local hardware or grocery stores). Residues in any other type of bag will not be collected.
  • Or, that the garden waste is placed in bulk in an open container such as a plastic or rigid metal bin. Do not put the lid on the bin so that collection teams can see the contents.
  • The weight of the bags and containers does not exceed 20 kilograms or they will not be collected.
  • The small branches are tied in bundles (maximum 2.5 cm in diameter and 1 metre long) with natural twine (not plastic rope).
  • Between September 30 and November 15, the Belvedere Road depot will be open between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday to Friday. It is open to citizens presenting proof of residence in Westmount and to entrepreneurs with valid City permit. The depot is located on Belvedere Road, near the intersection with Côte-des-Neiges Road.*Please note that the depot will be closed on Monday, October 14 for Thanksgiving.


  • Grasscycling, the practice of leaving lawn clippings on the ground, helps make your lawn easier to maintain and healthier. Grass clippings help to retain soil moisture and enrich it with nutrients.
  • Some green residues, such as branches and leaves, can be transformed into mulch, helping to keep soil moisture and produce a nutrient-rich organic fertilizer.
  • The collected green waste is used to produce a compost that is distributed to residents twice a year, free of charge.


Natural Christmas trees are collected to be used as mulch or compost. Christmas trees are collected by City teams on specific collection days during the 2nd and 3rd week of January.



  • Make sure your tree free of all decorations and unwrapped
  • Place your tree on your property curbside or in your lane after 8:00 p.m. the day before the collection, or before 7:00 a.m. on collection day


  • Place your tree on your property, not in the street or on the sidewalk, so that it does not interfere with the snow removal operations
  • Make sure your tree is visible and not covered in snow or stuck in ice


  • Dispose of your tree, cut into pieces, on your garden waste collection day
  • Bring it to an ecocentre



  • the use of leaf blowers is permitted from April 1st to May 1st and October 1st to December 1st, Monday to Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (By-law 1519)
  • It is illegal to blow leaves, grass clippings and garden debris onto sidewalks or roadways. Violators are subject to a fine (Municipal By-law 1425).


  • It is strictly forbidden to dump or throw green waste on public property (streets, sidewalks, parks, woodlots, etc.). Violators are subject to a fine (Municipal By-law 1475).


Fallen or broken branches from City trees along road ways or in public areas should be reported to Public Works at 514-989-5311.