Household garbage is any residue, debris or object discarded after its use and destined for landfill.
The City of Westmount promotes a management of waste that reduces the amount of garbage sent to landfill. The goal is to reduce pollution, energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions generated by the landfills.
Residents are strongly encouraged to reduce their waste production at home, at school and at work, by participating in all collections offered by the City.
- contaminated paper and cardboard
- ceramics, drinking glasses and window glass
- light bulbs (except fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescent bulbs)
- disposable personal-care products (baby wipes, diapers, feminine hygiene products, etc.)
- cigarette butts and ashes, fireplace ashes
- disposable mops, dusters and wipes
- vacuum cleaner bags with their contents, dryer sheets
- plastic #6 (polystyrene) and #7 (mixed plastic) containers
- unusable textiles and shoes
- small dead house pets such as goldfish or hamsters (wrapped in newspaper or in a cardboard box)
- recyclable or compostable materials
- paint, solvents, batteries and other hazardous waste
- fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent bulbs
- medication, syringes and other medical or bio-medical waste
- electronic waste
- usable clothing, shoes, household goods and furniture
- large appliances, bulky items and construction waste
- barbecue ashes, unless they have been cooled for more than 48 hours
DON’T MISS THE COLLECTION!
- Garbage, in a black or grey plastic or metal bin, can be taken out between 8:00 p.m. the day before the collection and 7:00 a.m. the day of the collection
- Garbage bags that are not in a bin can only be taken out as of 7:00 a.m. on the day of the collection
- A maximum of 6 bags per household (max. 20 kg each) is accepted