Westmount’s community gardens – located on the north portion of the Westmount athletic grounds between Hallowell and Hillside Lane – are an important collective space for residents to grow vegetables. If you are a Westmount resident who lives in an apartment or otherwise not have access to land for cultivation, you are eligible to participate in the community gardens. Members are expected to participate fully and cooperatively towards the maintenance and enhancement of the gardens. Note that there is currently a waiting list to get a garden plot.
The infrastructure of the gardens including the fencing, borders and water systems, underwent a major renovation in 2017 and 2018. This included the rebuilding of the garden beds, raising them and adding a keyhole for easy access, particularly for persons with reduced mobility.
To be considered for the waiting list, the applicant must:
- be a resident of Westmount;
- live in an apartment or otherwise not have access to land for cultivation;
- provide two proofs of residency.
- No more than one application per civic address will be accepted.
- Newly available plots will be assigned on a first-come-first-served basis each year by the Sports & Recreation Department.