The City of Westmount has recently been informed that its Municipal Council will not be giving the mandate to its City Clerk to initiate the process for the sale of immovables for non-payment of municipal taxes, until January 2017 at the earliest.
This process, provided for in Section 511 and following of the Cities and Towns Act, will be for all municipal taxes that remain unpaid for the taxation years 2015 and 2016.
Based on the information we currently have, the timetable would be as follows:
- Order from the Municipal Council to the City Clerk to initiate the process: January 16, 2017
- Letter sent to owners: January 16, 2017
- Publication of a first notice in newspapers: February 4, 2017
- Copy of notice sent to the land registrar: February 4, 2017
- Publication of a second notice in newspapers: February 25, 2017
- Sale of immovables for which taxes for the years 2015 and 2016 remain unpaid: March 15, 2017
In order to avoid being party to the process described above, owners will have to ensure that they have paid their municipal taxes – including interests and penalties –for the years 2015 and 2016, by January 13, 2017 at the latest.
You may contact the Finance Department in order to obtain the amount due on your tax account, by composing 514 989-5234.