Purpose of position
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Public Works, the incumbent plans, organizes, manages and controls the operational activities related to public roads, snow removal and loading, cleanliness, maintenance and repair of roadways, sidewalks, manholes, catch basins, street signs, parks and green spaces and any other public domain.
This includes researching, analyzing data, collecting and making recommendations on work methods and equipment to optimize the efficiency of operations. In addition, the incumbent participates in the preparation of the unit's annual budget, ensures its implementation, manages costs and recommends effective solutions. The incumbent manages the human, financial, material and information technology resource of his unit.
- Diploma of College Studies (DCS) in a relevant field. Any combination of education and experience deemed equivalent and relevant may be considered.
- Completion of at least ten (10) management courses will be considered an asset;
- Valid driver’s licence (class 5);
- Valid worksite safety card (ASP).
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience, including at least two (2) years in team management or coordination that allowed the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position, such as: snow removal and snow loading operations and management of public road works, maintenance and repair of the roadway, etc.
- Plan and supervise all snow removal and loading, leaf collection, maintenance and repair of roadways, sidewalks, sewers, catch basins, manholes, street signs and the painting of signposts, railings, fences, etc. performed by City employees;
- Regularly review all operations performed by City’s team (snow removal and loading, road maintenance and rehabilitation, etc.) in order to update work procedures or recommend changes as required;
- Assess and inspect streets and sidewalks to evaluate their condition for planning purposes;
- Ensures compliance with occupational health and safety standards and guidelines for employees, participates with the health and safety officers in establishing and updating them and attends local health and safety committees;
- Participates in the preparation of the departmental budget, performs appropriate budgetary monitoring and transmits to his/her superior the recommendations concerning operational expenses;
- Prepares specifications for tenders, obtain quotations, recommend, hire and supervise contractors performing work and approve payments to contractors.
- The basics of public works operations;
- Windows software programs (Word, Excel, etc.);
- English and French (spoken and written).
- Evening schedule;
- Ensure availability outside regular working hours on a rotating basis.