Purpose of position
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Public Works, the incumbent plans, organizes, manages and controls the operational activities of the department responsible for municipal buildings and related operations. The incumbent manages the maintenance and rehabilitation of buildings and related sites owned by the City, including repair and maintenance and minor construction projects. The incumbent acts as the owner's representative regarding building systems.
In addition, the incumbent participates in the preparation of the unit's annual budget, ensures its implementation, manages costs and recommends effective solutions. He manages the human, financial, material, and information technology resources of his unit in compliance with the rules, standards, regulations and collective agreements in force. The incumbent must work closely with the other managers in the department to optimize the performance of daily operations.
- Diploma of College Studies (DCS) in a relevant field such as building systems technology or civil engineering ;
- Be a professional technologist in good standing with the ‘Ordre des technologues professionnels du Québec’ ;
- Valid driver’s licence (class 5).
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience, including at least two (2) years in team management or coordination that allowed the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position.
- In collaboration with his manager, sets the direction, objectives, and priorities according to the Department’s mission ;
- Oversee the training of his employees, ensure that the work methods are understood and that the equipment is properly used in accordance with the standards of the CNESST ;
- Ensures the safety of employees by monitoring their work methods and plans the workforce required to perform various jobs ;
- Works closely with the directors of departments to identify their building needs i.e. new construction, renovations, while maintaining the operations of the Public Works buildings ;
- Prepares specifications and obtains quotes so that directors can prepare their budgets ;
- Prepares reports and maintains records on maintenance schedules, costs, invoices, oil and gas consumption, etc. ;
- Monitors relevant departmental expenses and provides reports to his manager on the explanation of discrepancies.
- Building installations ;
- The basic of construction projects ;
- English and French (spoken and written).
Abilities and skills
- To manage employees ;
- Coordinate various activities ;
- Good judgment ;
- Analytical and synthesis skills ;
- Conflict resolution and problem solving.
- Ensure, in rotation with the other superintendents, availability to work evenings and weekends (on call) to respond to any emergency (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).