Purpose of position
The work consists of patrolling the streets of the City of Westmount by car, on foot, or by bicycle, in order to enforce municipal by-laws, give out tickets when necessary, and assist citizens, police, and firefighters in urgent situations.
- • Must have a college diploma (DEC) in an appropriate discipline.
- • Must have a valid first-aid certificate (CPR).
- • Must have a valid driver’s licence for emergency vehicles (class 4A).
- • Two (2) years of experience in a job that has familiarized the candidate with this field.
EXAMPLES OF TASKS
- Patrol streets, parks, playgrounds, and municipal property, verify alarms, and provide security during City council meetings.
- Enforce specific municipal by-laws, such as those concerning solicitation in public places (the homeless, street vendors, etc.), parking, noise, nuisances, etc. Issue tickets when necessary in accordance with the law.
- Must be able to express himself/herself orally and in writing in both languages (French and English).
- Must have a general basic knowledge of both federal and provincial regulations related to the position.
Skills and aptitudes
- Must understand municipal by-laws.
- Must have the tact and courtesy necessary in dealing with the public.
- Must be able to communicate with and understand members of the public.
- Must be able to write reports that are both clear and precise.
- Must be observant and capable of recognizing anomalies.
- Must understand how the department operates.
- On rotation