Purpose of position
Reporting to the director, the candidate plans, coordinates and reviews the municipality’s planning program and by-laws. In this context, analyzes and determines needs, develops a work plan and schedule using a strategy that engages citizens in the process, and carries out planning and regulatory reviews. This responsibility involves coordinating outside professionals, and coordinating and participating in work groups, steering committees and meetings with residents.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning or equivalent;
- Member in good standing of the Ordre des urbanistes du Québec (OUQ) is an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience to ensure familiarity with the position’s responsibilities, such as:
- - Drafting of by laws and optimization of regulatory tools;
- - Public consultation process;
- - Strategies for informing and engaging citizens;
- - Land-use planning and defining a vision and strategic directions;
- - Mechanisms for adopting the planning program and by-laws.
- Manages regulatory analysis work and strategic and technical planning for project execution; drafts regulations such as zoning by-laws and others;
- Reads the existing planning program and by-laws to have an overall picture and vision of all information;
- Conducts research and planning work, determines the general issues at hand and analyzes the physical, social, economic or environmental factors;
- Identifies needs, assesses the relevance of each project component and its degree of feasibility with respect to city strategies, required resources, stated objectives and expected outcomes, and reports to management with appropriate recommendations;
- Identifies and establishes partnerships to help achieve objectives, and secures the technical, administrative and legal expertise necessary for project execution;
- Works with stakeholders to establish the municipality’s spatial organization guidelines and overall planning guidelines.
- of urban planning activities;
- of the regulatory framework and legislative standards in effect;
- of written and spoken French;
- of English (asset).
Abilities and skills
- Ability to clearly and accurately convey information;
- Attentive listening;
- Good judgment and ability to analyze and summarize;
- Ability to argue a position and convince stakeholders;
- Well-developed leadership skills and a broad, strategic vision.