Purpose of position
The position involves performing a number of technically specialized tasks for payroll, benefits and general human resources. The successful candidate must oversee ongoing operations and file processing. He or she will be a resource for employees and internal and external stakeholders in his or her area of expertise.
Finally, the successful candidate must ensure that schedules are respected, follow up on files and verify daily activities under his or her responsibility, while providing the assistance required to the City’s external auditors.
- A high-school leaving certificate with a certificate in accounting or finance;
- Accreditation from the Canadian Payroll Association and title of Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP).
- At least four (4) years of relevant experience allowing the candidate to become familiar with and put into practice knowledge of his or her area of expertise.
1. Is responsible for specialized tasks for processing the payroll for the City’s active employees and retirees and, as needed, making appropriate corrections;
2. Applies tax laws, municipal regulations regarding pension plans, clauses from collective agreements and the executives’ terms and conditions and city council resolutions about pay and benefits for employees;
3. Handles and controls ongoing operations and processes files for attendance, benefits, accidents in the workplace, preventive withdrawal, maternity, paternity and parental leave, disability insurance, bonuses, pension benefits and more;
4. Is responsible for producing status and other reports for his or her area of expertise and entries in the general ledger while ensuring data is accurate.
- basic principles of payroll processing;
- methods and processes for calculating compensation and annuities;
- clauses with a monetary impact from collective agreements and pension plans;
- coding data and IT requirements;
- instructions on payment agreements;
- payroll software;
- written and spoken French and English.