Purpose of position
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Infrastructure and Engineering, the incumbent is responsible for the planning, design, and realization of various projects related to the municipal infrastructure of different fields of activity such as: the water and wastewater systems, the reconstruction of roads and sidewalks, the installation of electrical ducts, etc.
Within this framework, the incumbent must take part in preparing the annual budget for the Engineering Unit, ensure its implementation, monitor costs, and offer effective solutions. In addition, the incumbent must contribute to the development of the three-year capital works program, take part in negotiations with contractors, help establish the orientations and objectives of the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit, and prioritize the work carried out by the Unit.
Moreover, the incumbent must manage the human, financial, material, and information technology resources of their unit, as well as facilitate staff training.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field that is relevant to the position, namely Civil Engineering
- Member in good standing of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience, including at least four (4) years in the municipal sector, that has enabled the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position, such as: • Management and coordination of engineering and infrastructure-related projects; • Management of contracts, quotations, and calls for tender; • Regulations specific to the field of activity
- In consultation with their manager, setting the orientations, objectives, and priorities of the various projects related to the municipal infrastructure of the Unit in accordance with the Department’s mission and business plan;
- Providing required expertise as part of the design, maintenance, and improvement of municipal infrastructure projects; taking part in developing the three-year capital works program and managing the project portfolio assigned to them;
- Setting priorities, preparing specifications for bids and quote requests, analyzing submitted proposals and preparing a table listing the pros and cons of each proposal;
- Making budget projections for projects in these fields of expertise and ensuring follow-up as required; performing and/or verifying calculations of surface area and volume as well as the quantities of bid forms required for project development;
- Carrying out compilation, survey, and analysis efforts relevant to the creation or development of various construction, alteration, or maintenance projects; monitoring job sites and communicating with the different City departments in order to ensure projects are running smoothly;
- Taking part in preparing authorization and subsidy requests to the different ministries, and attending information and/or public consultation sessions.