Purpose of position
Reporting to the Public Works Director, the incumbent is in charge of planning, designing, and carrying out various projects related to the City’s municipal building infrastructure of various natures. Within this framework, the incumbent must take part in preparing the annual budget for the Building Unit, ensure its implementation, monitor costs, and offer effective solutions. In addition, the incumbent must contribute to the development of the three-year capital works program, take part in negotiations with contractors, help establish the orientations and objectives of the Building Division, and prioritize the work of the Division. The incumbent is in charge of planning the long-term investment plan and must establish the appropriate strategy for its implementation to maintain effective management of the buildings. Moreover, the incumbent must manage the human, financial, material, and information technology resources of their unit, as well as facilitate staff training.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or in architecture
- Member in good standing of the Quebec professional order of civil engineering or architects
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience, including at least four (4) years in the municipal sector, that has enabled the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position, such as: Management and coordination of projects related to building infrastructure of various natures; Management of contracts, specifications, and calls for tender; Regulations specific to the field of activity.
- In consultation with their manager, setting the orientations, objectives, and priorities of the various projects related to the municipal buildings of the Unit in accordance with the Department’s mission and business plan;
- Managing the human, financial, material, and information technology resources of the administrative unit in compliance with the rules, standards, regulations, and collective agreements in effect. Ensuring staff training;
- In consultation with their manager, preparing annual budgets for capital projects, providing necessary explanations regarding observed discrepancies, performing ongoing cost monitoring and offering appropriate solutions;
- Providing required expertise as part of the design, maintenance, and improvement of the municipal buildings;
- Taking part in developing the three-year capital works program and managing the project portfolio assigned to them.