Purpose of position
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the incumbent is in charge of planning, designing, and carrying out various projects relating to the City’s municipal buildings and their respective infrastructures.
Within this framework, the incumbent must take part in preparing the annual budget for the Building Unit, ensure its implementation, monitor costs, and offer effective solutions. In addition, they must contribute to the development of the three-year capital works program, participate in negotiations with contractors, help establish the direction and objectives of the Building Division and prioritize the latter’s work. The incumbent is in charge of preparing the long-term investment plan and must establish the appropriate strategy for its implementation to maintain the effective management of the buildings.
Moreover, they must manage the human, financial, material, and information technology resources of their unit, as well as facilitate staff training.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, either civil engineering or architecture;
- Member in good standing of the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec or of the Ordre des architectes du Québec.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience including at least five (5) in property project management (restoration and construction), that has enabled the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position, such as:
- Management and coordination of projects related to building infrastructure of various natures;
- Management of contracts, specifications, and calls for tender
- Regulations specific to the field of activity;
- Team management;
- Associated Green Accreditation or LEED AP, an asset;
- Very good knowledge of the National Building Code;
- Knowledge of building mechanics and its issues, an asset;
- PMP certification or project management training will be considered an asset;
- Experience in the municipal field, an asset.
- In collaboration with their manager, sets the direction, objectives, and priorities of the various projects relating to the municipal buildings of the Unit in accordance with the Department’s mission and business plan;
- Managing, coordinating and controlling the construction, renovation and major restoration projects of municipal buildings, including various interior redevelopment projects;
- Responsible for the development and update of the Municipal Building Master Plan (long-term investment plan), as well as the audits pertaining to the condition of municipal buildings (condition index) to ensure the sustainability of operations and the management of the buildings stock;
- Verifying, commenting, completing and preparing specifications for construction, renovation and interior redevelopments and ensuring compliance with the legislation, standards, requirements and the management direction;
- Plans the execution of construction projects by conducting critical path studies or other types of analyses while taking into account the required permits, job site conditions, availability of the workforce, etc., and ensuring their coordination;
- Overseeing the design work of the professionals so that the deliverables meet the technical constraints, the requirements of the FTP, the construction standards established by the various departments and the design and construction deadlines;
- Managing the process for awarding of various contracts including those for professional services, construction, and maintenance mandates.
- Spoken and written French and English;
- Good knowledge of MS Office Windows;
- Excellent knowledge of laws, standards and regulations governing the awarding of public contracts;
- In-depth knowledge of good practices in the management of building stock.