Purpose of position
The incumbent shall manage the activities pertaining to the operations involved in managing the City’s documents and archives.
In this context, he or she shall define and apply the City’s policies regarding the acquisition, classification, description, preservation, and dissemination of archival material. He or she shall advise the directors of the City’s various departments on managing documents and archives.
- Bachelor’s degree appropriate for the position, i.e. archives management.
- Membership in good standing of the Association des archivistes du Québec.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience that enabled the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position, such as: Activities in the document and archives management field of expertise; Technical experience in the implementation of electronic tools.
- Assisting his or her superior in setting orientations, goals, and priorities regarding the management of documents and archives, as well as drafting the department’s annual budget;
- Being in charge of the management of active, semi-active, and historical documents as well as for activities related to this process, in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations in force;
- Developing the City’s document retention schedule, and identifying documents to be preserved permanently. Drafting standards for the description of archives, and supervising the creation of research tools;
- Establishing and updating a document classification plan, and proposing to his or her superior a metadata model for all of the City’s documents;
- The laws and regulations pertaining to document and archives management
- English and French (spoken and written)
Abilities and skills
- Ability to develop and draft standards and work procedures
- Analytical and synthesis skills
- Good judgment
- Ability to act as an expert advisor in his or her field
- Ability to draft policies and procedures
- Ability to coordinate various files
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to communicate effectively in both languages (English, French)