Purpose of position
The work consists of inspecting lots, premises and buildings to ensure compliance with by-laws, laws and regulations governing construction, demolition, zoning, signs, fire protection, sanitation, housing, plumbing and ventilation.
- Specialized college diploma with the appropriate profile and from the relevant field.
- One (1) year of experience in a similar position
Examples of tasks to be accomplished
- Conducting a detailed technical inspection of buildings in the process of being constructed or renovated, from the start of the work until the work has been completed in compliance with the permits issued;
- Ensuring that the required municipal permits have been obtained and that the work carried out complies with the by-laws, laws, and standards governing construction, renovations, zoning, and demolition as well as with the plans and specifications, and the lines and levels approved when the permits were issued;
- As applicable, ordering the stoppage of construction, renovation, or demolition work being conducted without a permit or presenting a danger to public safety;
- Examining all construction sites, premises, and land used for parking purposes or other commercial purposes to identify those without a permit and taking the appropriate steps; as needed and onsite, filling out and having citizens sign permit application forms.
- By-laws, laws and regulations governing construction, demolition, zoning, signs, fire protection, sanitation, housing, plumbing and ventilation
- Construction and materials techniques
- Reading and interpretation of plans
- Common inspections methods
- French and English, written and spoken