Purpose of position
Reporting to the Director of Urban Planning, the Assistant Director plans, organizes, manages, and supervises activities related to urban planning, the issuing of permits and certificates, inspection, economic development, and services for businesses in Westmount.
Working with his or her superior, the Assistant Director therefore helps manage the Department’s human, financial, material, and information resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning.
- Member in good standing of the Quebec professional order of urban planners.
- Seven (7) years of experience that enabled the candidate to become familiar with the position’s responsibilities, such as work in: An activity sector related to urban development and planning; Management of built and cultural heritage; Some inspection activities related to construction.
- Determines along with his/her superior the Department’s orientations, objectives, and priorities, in accordance with the mission.
- Ensures manpower planning and ongoing staff training, and evaluates performance management for succession planning.
- Working with his/her superior, helps identify local economic issues, determine priorities, describe objectives, and evaluate results.
- Discusses problems related to daily operations with members of the Department, analyzes the issues involved, proposes solutions, and makes the appropriate recommendations.
- Manages inspection activities related to construction and supervises the issuing of permits and certificates, including those for construction, modifications, demolition, signs, commercial use, etc.
- Analyzes and prepares and/or helps analyze and prepare studies on urban planning and projects being presented to City Council, and gives his/her opinion and advice on such matters to management, the Planning Advisory Committee, and elected officials.
- Relevant activity sectors;
- Current legislative standards and the regulatory framework;
- Both languages (English and French), written and spoken.
Abilities and skills
- Know how to manage;
- Analytical mind and decision making;
- Interpersonal relations;
- Ability to debate and convince;
- Customer Service;