Purpose of position
Reporting to the Director - Library Services and Community Events, the incumbent plans, organizes, manages and verifies activities by offering diversified, quality services centered on the needs of the population in terms of library service and programming while fostering the notion of community.
In this context, the incumbent assists the director in various tasks during development of projects and in the elaboration of strategic orientations. The incumbent assists the director in the management of human, financial, physical and informational resources of his department.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience allowing the incumbent to become familiar with the responsibilities of the position such as : management of employees and activities related to the operations and functioning of the department including programming and special events.
- Participates in the identification of local issues, define orientations, develop objectives and priorities and institute best practices, in line with the mission;
- Manages human, financial, physical and information resources for his department in compliance with rules, standards and collective agreements;
- Supervises employees in his department and handles workforce planning, ensuring professional development and annually evaluating employee performance management for succession planning;
- Identifies, develops, proposes, manages and supervises the activities offered by the Library and community events. Participates in the analysis and evaluation of these activities;
- Participates in the preparation of the annual budget, monitors the costs of activities, performs the necessary follow-up and prepares a report in support of any other request;
- Replaces his superior during absences and handles a range of management and operational activities; acts according to rules and policies and in keeping with the delegation of powers and prepares a report with highlights of the replacement assignment.
- Appropriate fields of activity;
- Regulatory framework and legislative standards in force;
- Both languages (French and English) spoken and written.
Abilities and skills:
- Manage and motivate employees;
- Resolve conflicts and problems;
- Change management;
- Adaptability and flexibility;
- Customer service;
- To work with the city council;
- Interpersonal relations;
- Innovation in public library service;
- Innovation in programming;
- Working flexible hours.